Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Little Rock Accountant Terri Layne Ivy



Terri Layne Ivy 


     If your idea of an accountant is a taciturn type more at home with numbers than
people, you need to meet Terri Layne Ivy, owner of  Ivy Tax & Accounting.
     "I'm probably not your typical accountant.  I love being around people.  I am extroverted.  I
want to help them," Mrs. Ivy said. 
      "I have a heart for small businesses.  I get such a kick out of seeing small businesses
grow."
      Terri has been an accountant for 23 years.  She was graduated from Arkansas State University at Jonesboro with a bachelor of science degree in accounting and has held her certified public accounting license for about 15 years.
      She does tax returns - personal, corporate, partnership, business and trust.  She offers bookkeeping services, help with Quickbooks and does payroll and payroll taxes.  She sets up corporations and nonprofits. 
     "I would love to help you.  It's important to find someone you feel comfortable with and someone you trust, someone you know who is going to be in your corner if anything happens. That is the kind of relationship you need with whoever your accountant is."
     Terri is a whiz at Quickbooks. 
     "I have worked Quickbooks for years.  I just go out and fix their problem. I enjoy doing that.  A lot of small businesses may have an idea about Quickbooks.  It's a small-business software package.  It's pretty user friendly.  Quickbooks, if you know how to use it, can be the heart of your business. You teach them where the expenses go, profit and loss, balance sheets, assets … . When you have everything in the right category, your financial statements will be correct. I enjoy teaching them and showing them how to do that."
     Terri is her own boss and wouldn't have it any other way. 
    "I won't work full-time for anybody.  I get one shot at being a mom, and I can do (an accounting task) at midnight as well as 10 a.m.  I get the work done."
     She meets with her clients and determines what level of services they require.  
     "Many of my creative clients are awesome at being creative, awful at paperwork.  One woman started out with a flea market booth, then moved into a small building, then into a large building."  
     The woman knew how to grow her business, but needed Terri to keep the paperwork in order.   "She can't do it, and I can't paint furniture," Terri said with a laugh.
     Some folks are just overwhelmed.  "I say just bring me everything, and I'll sort it out.
    "In some companies, I do everything - make deposits, write checks. They are out-sourcing their accounting department.  There is a lot of advantage to that.  I don't need benefits or vacation pay.  I just need to get the work done.
     "I like dealing with different industries.  So it's fun.  It might be a bakery one day, an automotive place the next or a corporate place.  And if there is a day I don't want to talk with anyone, I can just sit and do bookkeeping all day. I get the best of both worlds."
    Terri said there are many changes this year with the Affordable Care Act, or "Obama Care."
    "Some people who have never needed a CPA, they may need one this year. This is new.  No one has ever done this before. And some of the tax breaks changed.  There have been changes in depreciation."
    This is Terri's eighth year working on her own.  
    "I just love it.  Not every day, but most days.  I am a Christian, and I feel like this is God's gift to me.  I can be with my kids. If I can help someone and be a blessing to them, I want to. There are so many good people in the world.  If I can make a little living out of it and help you too, I will."

     You may reach Terri at 681-9880.



No comments: