Tuesday, April 2, 2013


Fantastic Jewelry Show by Belgian Artist Steph Brouwers at Gallery 360 April 5



Stone, thread, fine silver wire, old piece of silver from Syria on leather cord










         Gallery 360 is proud to announce "Inner Voices: Wearable Art," a jewelry show April 5 featuring the work of the enormously talented Belgian artist Steph Brouwers.  A reception will be held 6 - 10 p.m.  It is free and open to the public. 

      Ms. Brouwers carefully selects leather, bone, glass, found objects, ancient coins, her own hand-made beads and talismans, African glass beads, animal teeth, fabrics, ostrich egg shells, horsehair, thread, turquoise, amber, and other materials for her jewelry.  Her pieces reflect her humor, intelligence and love of craft.




     Steph is also a sculptor, and she teaches art in Belgium.  She will have artist trading cards from some of her students available for trade at the show.

    Steph will teaching a class on Polymer Clay Talisman 2 - 5 p.m. April 6 at the gallery.  The goal of the workshop will be to create a small amulet or talisman.  She will discuss amulets and talismans.  "We will discover the amazing world of folk beliefs," Steph said.  "Then we will get familiar with the polymer clay and see what an incredible medium it is.  And then we create." Clay and tools will be provided.  She suggested that students bring things  such as ear wires, jump rings, clasps, cotton cord or broken jewelry.  The cost of the class is $35.









    The gallery will be showing the work of Angela Davis Johnson, Byron Werner, Kelley Naylor Wise, and Lynn Frost, as well.  The show will continue until May 4.

    Gallery 360 is located at 900 South Rodney Parham. For more information, call 663-2222 or 993-0012.  Steph's wearable art may be found on Pinterest, on Vladthebatsattic.blogspot.com, and Etsy.

 Steph and Mrs. Wise will appear on Fox television's Good Day program
with host Nichelle Sullivan 7:45 a.m. April 5. 
     









Steph Brouwers Profile 

      When did you first know you were an artist?  I don't see myself as an artist.  I see myself as someone who makes stuff.  I've always been playing, creating.  As a child, I was attracted to my mom's jewelry box and my dad's tool box. Then I got the chance to study at the Fine Arts School.  A lot of people call me an artist.  That's strange to me.  I could not go without doing what I do.  It is a need. 

       What do you like about teaching?  The ability to share my knowledge.  I give them a lot, but they give me a lot too.  I like interacting with teenagers.  I think they are fun.  They are not kids any more and not quite adult, and I quite like that.  I am teaching them sculpture.  It's part of the process.  But my main goal is to make them creative adults, even if they don't pursue a career in art. 

      How many times have you been to the States?  This is the fifth time.  I like the States.  I like the people.  They are friendly and interesting and generous.  I never felt bad.  I never felt judged.  A lot of people in Europe think most Americans are narrow-minded, and I think it is quite the opposite.

      What is a typical day?  I get up and have breakfast, and I go running. And then I go to my studio and play with my supplies.  Sometimes I have an idea about what I want to make.  Sometimes just looking at the beads I have, the idea just pops in. 

      What inspires you?  Ethnic jewelry.  What people call Tribal Art, like African art and art from Papua New Guinea.  And life and death.  That's something you can find a lot in my jewelry.  I think if you ignore one, you are ignoring the other.  They are both part of the path.  And I am interested in talismans and amulets and folk beliefs.

      Who is your favorite writer?  That's a tough one.  I like a lot of American writers from the 20th Century … Pat Conroy, Raymond Carver, Dos Passos.  I like French writers from the early 20th Century.  I like history about the United States and the Civil War and slavery.  I like Giono. And Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I liked his "Love in the Time of Cholera" and "Chronicle of a Death Foretold."  I like Borges. It's always an adventure to open a book. 

      I just finished John Irving's "The Hotel New Hampshire," and it's on my mind.  Do you like Irving?  Yes, I liked "A Prayer for Owen Meany" and "The Cider House Rules" and "The World According to Garp."  I also like Stephen King. I love books.  I've got lots of books, and I give them away too.  I have a great pile of books here I need to read, and I keep buying books.  When I went to study abroad in England during the last year of university, I spent my time in the library rather than going to class.  I read all of Orwell, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Dos Passos. I read a great Charlie Chaplin autobiography.  

       Tell us about the work you are bringing for your show.  It's quite eclectic, I think.  Some pieces are tribal, some have found objects in them, some are quite romantic.  They are for every means.  Some pieces are quite affordable.  The prices range from $20 to $250. Last summer, before I started running, I took walks.  And I would pick up things like rock and pieces of metal.  I make swaps with people all over the world.  That's something I really like about the Internet.  And recently, I've sold quite a lot of pieces all over the world and a lot of different states in the United States.  It's amazing.  I am in Belgium, and people so far away can be interested in my stuff.  I know I could do more to try to sell more.  But it would be less time for creativity.  I'd rather take time to make a necklace than to take time to promote my work.

Interview by Bobbi Nesbitt 




1 comment:

Steph said...

You did a great job! but I am SCARED! Thank you so much! :)