Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Rachael Crosby Profile

Rachael Crosby

(For this profile, Rachael was interviewed by telephone as she did her morning prep work at Scallions.)

Tell us about your family. I'm single, and I have five children; I gave birth to two and got three by the grace of God. My Grannie Mae is 89. She worked here. She worked her whole life, and would work here too when needed. She has Alzheimer's. We deal with that. I love her, and she is so funny. I have one granddaughter named Bryah, and I have a grandchild on the way. We are excited about that. My kids are ages 16 to 28.

Where were you born? Batesville.

What's your favorite city? Jackson Hole, Wyoming. It's not a city, just a wonderful community.

Do you have a favorite movie? The original 1936 version of The Women.

Yeah, that's great. It's one of my favorites too. Do you have favorite actors? I just love Meg Ryan.

What do you do in your spare time? I read. I have a great church, the Church at Rock Creek. We have a terrific youth group. I cook for 150 to 200 kids on Sunday night, good home-cooked meals for kids in 6th to 12 grades. I'm grateful for the opportunity to be with my daughter and her friends and cook and do what I love.
I love to cruise. I have been on seven cruises and a mission trip to Honduras in '97. Mexican people and Central American people ... have more joy. There is more happiness in people who live simply. They have less, but they have more.

What do you like to read? Jodi Picoult, Francine Rivers and Barbara Delinsky are my favorite authors.

Is there anything you'd like to learn how to do? Yes, I would love to learn how to kayak.

If you could have a dream dinner party with any three people, who would you choose? My Daddy, Mike Crosby. Daddy is the best cook there ever was, and I miss his cooking, so he'd have to cook it. He passed away in 2000. I come from a long line of cooks, but my dad was just the best. Growing up, meals were all about the family and sharing it together.

What would you do if you won a large lottery? Support missions and travel more. I have friends starting a mission in Africa. And I'd make my family comfortable.

Do you have any pets? I have this amazing Yorkie named Ike I got from the Humane Society. He's a 7-year-old Yorkie. He's looking at me right now as I work. He has a car seat. He's real mischievous if I leave him home. He would rather come to work and sit at the door and watch us come and go.

Do you support any charities? Scallions is really proud to have supported Silent Sunday for the Arkansas School for the Deaf. We started in 1989. There were 12 restaurants participating then, and last year, there were over 40.


No comments: